Tuesday 31 May 2011

Challenges: Books to Movies and Books I Should Have Read By Now

Because I totally don't have enough to do (*cough*), I've decided to take on a couple more book challenges! Since I started this blog I've only signed up for the Aussie Author Challenge, which is hosted by Booklover Book Reviews, and I've read three out of 12 Aussie books so far.

There are so many fun challenges listed over at A Novel Challenge, but I was particularly drawn to two - I think because they're both things I'd do on my own, anyway.


The first is the Books to Movie Challange, created by Two Bibliomaniacs. As you can probably tell if you've read this blog before, I'm kinda obsessed with adaptations, and pretty much always watch the movie versions of books and vice versa, so this is the perfect challenge for me. Here are the deets (BTW, I'm aiming for Oscar Buzz):
"The rules are SIMPLE.  Read a book.  Watch the movie.  Both milestones must be completed in order to receive full marks.  There are 4 levels of participation to choose from.
Straight to VideoRead 2 books and view the film adaptations.
Limited ReleaseRead 4 books and view the film adaptations.
Blockbuster Read 6 books and view the film adaptations.
Oscar BuzzRead 8 books and view the film adaptations.
The challenge begins June 1st and will finish December 31st." 

The other challenge I've decided to sign up for is Books I Should Have Read By Now, hosted by Gabriel Reads. Considering my TBR pile of books that I own (not including books I want to read, but don't own) was 112 at last count, and has grown considerably since then, I think I seriously need to get cracking on this challenge. Here are the deets:
"My goal is to read two classic books each month from June 1st to December 31st, 2011. That adds up to twelve classics between now and the end of the year... Now for the fun part: I'm inviting any interested book bloggers to join in on this challenge. The books you choose don't have to be classics, but they do have to be books that you own that you should have read by now. Any of those tomes that are collecting dust on your shelf are free game.There are three levels that you can take on for this challenge:
Casual Reader: At least 1 book a month
Avid Reader: At least 2 books a month
Voracious Reader: At least 3 books a month"
I'm going to try for two books a month for this challenge, sticking to either classics or books that everyone raves about. Here's what I'm thinking:
  1. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
  2. Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey.
  3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
  4. The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford.
  5. The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
  6. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
  7. If I Stay by Gayle Forman.
  8. Dracula by Bram Stoker.
  9. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
  10. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
  11. Delirium by Lauren Oliver.
  12. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.
Phew, I better get reading!

Updated to add: As Molly from Quirky Girls Read pointed out, quite a few of Books I Should Have Read By Now are classics that can double up towards their Classic Bribe challenge. So I'll be participating in this one, too! It involves reading at least one classic by September 5 - I think I can do that!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for signing up for the Books to Movies Challenge!!! Can't wait to hear you're choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belle,

    You haven't read If I Stay yet? *dies* Please read that first, then The Hunger Games.

    LOL

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it's terrible isn't it?! I was scared I'd be totally depressed, but I think I just have to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an excellent plan for reading - I like to alternate them from genre to genre too. And those will make quite a few entries for The Classic Bribe without any extra work :0)

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I Stay, City of Bones, and Hunger games are all wonderful! I've read the abridged Les Mis. I'd love to read the full book someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Molly - that's true! Hmm I might have to sign up for that, too!
    Alison, I've heard that, it's driving me crazy that I haven't read them yet hehe. I just need to get through the book I'm reading at the moment and then it's straight to If I Stay, I think! (I don't like to read two books at once, call me crazy).

    ReplyDelete