Thursday 23 February 2012

Bookish Fun: Art by Oona Patterson

Although I still feel slightly uncomfortable about the idea of cutting up books, when it's for the purpose of creating amazing artwork like that of Oona Patterson, it's probably worth it. My favourite is Ream, which actually tells a story. Check it out in full, plus more of her work, at her website.

"Ream is the story of a little girl made out of paper who lives inside a book. It is told via a 3D model where each page of the story has its own area."
"Ream was a little girl who lived on a boat. Far out to sea, she watched the Sun and Moon shine day and night. One night Ream decided that she would do whatever it took to shine as brightly as they did, so she sailed off in search of some advice…"
"The road was long and steep, and only after walking for a long time did Ream come to its end. A large Palace made of silver stood waiting for her." 
"When she awoke the Dancer took Ream to the sea. She parted the waves and revealed a path along the sea bed. Ream followed it to a Palace made of jade, guarded by a large sea Monster. 'Excuse me,' Ream asked once more, 'do you know the rest of the way to the Land beyond the Waves?'"

9 comments:

  1. I love this type of book sculpture, they're so amazing. Have you seen the ones which were left anonymously around Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so, that sounds fun!

      Delete
    2. http://www.dailyartfixx.com/2011/12/07/anonymous-paper-sculptures-edinburgh-scotland/

      They're really quite amazing!

      Delete
  2. That is incredible! Gorgeous! Thank you so much for the introduction to Patterson's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - those are amazing, so intricate. I think that book art is very fascinating and looks great when it's done well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, those are very cool. I'm with you on not enjoying cutting up books, but I've done it twice now for art. One copy of Catcher in the Rye turned into a painting, and some no name book I found at a dollar store is now ripped up and pasted all over one of my bookcases.

    Though my art is not nearly as amazing as this art. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds awesome! Do you have pics?

      Delete