Tuesday 25 June 2013

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2013


1. Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan. Gorgeous, descriptive writing telling a beautiful, harrowing, whimsical story about selkies.

2. This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers. A zombie novel focused on human relationships and emotions. So many feels.

3. Adorkable by Sarra Manning. Realistic characters + authentic romance = pure fun.

4. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. After loving the show for two years, I actually got around to reading the first book this year. It was a bit of a slog, but worth it. Westeros is such a rich world, populated by wonderful, flawed characters.

5. Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley. An all-in-one-night story (my favourite kind) featuring a smart girl and mysterious boy wandering around the streets of Melbourne. Le swoon.

6. The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner. After enjoying the first book and being disappointed with the second in The Queens Thief series, I finally saw what all the fuss was about with this third book. I loved the twisty plot and awesome characters, especially the King of the title, Eugenides.

7. Liar by Justine Larbalestier. The kind of book that stays with you long after you’ve read it. Mostly because the unreliable narrator totally messes with your head.

8. Between the Lives by Jessica Shirvington. I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. What could have been clichéd was actually quite lovely, and the idea of one girl living two lives simultaneously was unique and interesting.

9. In Falling Snow by Mary-Rose MacColl. A moving historical novel spanning generations and countries, with a tale of the relationships between women at its heart.

10. Alaska by Sue Saliba. Beautifully written and designed, this book is about finding yourself.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

26 comments:

  1. Hard to believe it's time for the midyear roundup already. I'd really like to read GoT this year. So I can start watching the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! This year has gone crazy fast.

      Delete
  2. Is it seriously almost July already? Where has the year gone?! Why haven't I read more!? Okay, mini-freakout over. I'm nearly about to start A Game Of Thrones (the audiobook) and I have a feeling I won't be finished until the end of the year. And it scares me just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Not a Test!!! LOVED IT!! Courtney Summers is awesome. Also I totally agree Liar messes with the readers head SO bad. It was really interesting, but in the end I felt like I was being lied to too much to figure anything out! I can see why people love it though... unreliable narrators can be fun!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can see Liar wouldn't be for everyone. To be honest I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  4. I need to read the Game of Throne books! I love your blog theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked Between the Lives - I remember your status re. the clothes the other day. I liked it so much more than I thought I would, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. Yeah I think I was extra judgey going into it but it got under my skin.

      Delete
  6. Ahh! You read the third Thief book! I stopped after number two. Hmm... Maybe I should try out three? I h=already slogged through the first two (they weren't bad, I was just expecting something really awesome...)

    Also. I LOVE GRAFFITI MOON.

    And. I have been considering reading Game of Thrones (my friend even gifted it to me) but I am worried it is going to be all political and boring. LOL.

    I will have to post about my fave reads so far. Still a few more days before it's halfway through the year though! I might find a new fave by then ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the first two books were a bit of a let down after all the hype, but the third book made me see what everyone loved. I thought it was much better than the previous two.
      I didn't find Game of Thrones too political and boring. There are parts that are a little tedious but I loved the characters. I thought it was probably less political than the Thief series.

      Delete
  7. I read A Game of Thrones before watching the show, and yes, it is a lot to get through, but those books are just sooo good. I'm putting off watching the 2nd and 3rd season until I finish the A Feast For Crows and A Dance of Dragons. :)
    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove the show and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books.

      Delete
  8. Ohh! Graffiti Moon! I've been wanting to read that one for just about FOREVER. I don't know why I haven't read it yet!

    Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally read it asap, it's awesome.

      Delete
  9. I... haven't read any of these! Lol, but a bunch do sound really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Gif. and Man, I really need to read Graffiti Moon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good list, I love Game of Thrones as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hanging to read the rest of the series!

      Delete
  12. Have you read This is Shyness by Leanne Hall? It's another "set in a single night" book and one of my favourites.
    I'm so thrilled to see Alaska on your list- I read it as an ARC and adored it- would like to re-read soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it but it's on my wishlist, it sounds awesome!

      Delete
  13. I SO nearly put This Is Not A Test on my list too. I did really enjoy it, but Sloane's general whiny annoyingness put me off A LOT. It's pretty much just for that reason that it wasn't included.

    Oh, I'm really glad you liked Liar! It's been on my TBR for a few months now. I keep picking it up but then putting it back down again. Maybe I'll FINALLY commit to it; I usually trust your taste in books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Hanna! I'd really like to know what you think. It seems people either love it or hate it.

      Delete