Tuesday 4 February 2014

Top Ten Books That Will Make You Cry

1. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Matthew gets me every time.


2. Wildlife by Fiona Wood. I had to put this book down seven pages in, I was so upset.


3. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I sobbed for a good half an hour after finishing this book.


4. On The Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I can't even talk about it.


5. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. This book still haunts me.


6. The Reluctant Hallelujah by Gabrielle Williams. The ending kind of blindsided me, in the best way possible.


7. Checkers by John Marsden. This is the first book I remember crying over, and it still makes me cry today.


8. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Anyone who doesn't shed a tear for Beth clearly doesn't have a heart.


9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. The characters in this book burrow into your heart... and tear it apart.


10. If I Stay by Gayle Forman. So much sadness in this book, but Teddy in particular is a punch in the gut.


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

20 comments:

  1. I can't believe I forgot The Book Thief! I was going to add Never Let Me Go too but ran out of space - I agree, it is extremely haunting. I wanted to read Wildlife but couldn't get a copy where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures! I haven't read all of your picks, but I agree with The Book Thief and Jellicoe Road. *SOB* Thanks for sharing! ~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-1Qj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the gifs! The only ones that I've read The Book Thief, Little Women, and Anne of Green Gables, but they definitely made me cry. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gifs! If I Stay is the only book on this list that I've read, though I'm dying to read Jellicoe Road and The Book Thief.

    My list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks. If I Stay & The Time Traveller's Wife made my list too, such emotional and beautiful books. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, right in the feels! Don't know how many times I've cried for Matthew Cuthbert in my life, but it's definitely up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read Ann of Green Gables but I always cry over that part in the movie no matter how many times I've seen it. The Book Thief & Jellicoe Road tore me apart too. You found so many great gifs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I Stay is such a wonderful book, but the Teddy aspect completely gutted me!!! I hated that happened!! So many tears!! Great list! Have an awesome weekend!! :)

    xo, Becca @Pivot Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember being really outraged after Checkers because I had NO IDEA that was coming and it was a dark, dark day for me.

    Anne of Green Gables...oh that movie always gets me. Matthew was awesome. I remember reading a magazine last year that was describing bad relationships in books and had this whole spiel about how awful Gilbert was and I was going to PUNCH someone. I mean, he teases her for a couple of months in primary school, spends many years being made to regret it and long past the time when he has proven he is now a mature adult he still gets abused by Anne. I was just screaming in my head at this person saying "Have you read any other book ever??? Cos I can list you ten books right now with ACTUAL unhealthy relationships in them."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally blindsided by Checkers too! And yeah I start crying in the movie of AOGG before Matthew even dies.Umm how can anyone say Gilbert is awful?! THey clearly haven't even read the books.

      Delete